We are a family owned and operated Garden Center that has been serving the surrounding areas, including Moorestown, Mt. Laurel, Medford, Maple Shade, Cherry Hill and has been in existence for over 115 years and is in its 4th generation. The business started around 1885 as a general store named Morton & Haines. They sold groceries and farmers’ supplies, including farm equipment. It housed the “Parry Post Office” until the free rural delivery system was inaugurated. At that time the post office was moved to its current site – “The Palmyra Post Office”. As farms in the area were sold, they added a Buick Dealership known as Haines Buick.
On our ancestral site, which is rich in history, with the tradition of a turnpike, tollhouse, a historic store and post office, the family firm continues. Great-grandchild, Todd Perkins, and his wife Beth, run the business today. Todd’s father, Harry Perkins, who owned the business until 2010, unfortunately passed away in 2018, he was 93 1/2.
Although we no longer sell farm equipment or Buicks, Haines Farm & Garden is now comprised of a Garden Center, Gift Shop and a Pond Department. We still offer old fashioned service, quality products, a friendly staff and our dogs, Bubba Gump and Echo. Parts of the building and some of the scales that we use today, were used in the original general store. Above the counter in the Garden Center are old business & family photos and memorabilia.
In the 70’s, Todd’s mother Peggy started “Your Merry Christmas Shop.” She transformed the garden center into a Christmas Wonderland during the months of November & December. Unfortunately, we lost Peg in 2000, but her Christmas Shop continues. Today, we also transform the gift shop into a holiday destination spot for all our loyal customers.